Here’s a good example of where we are these days:
Moore is lying; he is “bearing false witness”. For a guy who claims to be pretty much the second coming, you’d think he’d maybe know that lying is bad?
Except, it’s not. I think modern American Christians have rewritten the 10 Commandments into something like this:
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me, excepting money and power
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, unless granted to you by money or power
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain, or at least try most of the time
- Remember to keep the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy, except for pro football and other leisure activities
- Honor thy father and thy mother
- Thou shalt not kill unless it’s a black kid, or maybe someone who angered you, and also it’s totally OK to have vivid murder fantasies about your neighbors
- Thou shalt not steal except through legislative or legal loopholes
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor unless it impairs your pursuit of money, power, or leisure, or something you want; and if you convince yourself it’s true then it’s not false witness
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife, unless thou dost have the scratch for a settlement
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors servants/animals/anything else, because wow go get your own, jeeze
About the only one not broadly re-interpreted in the fun world of late-stage capitalism and the era of Donald Trump is #5. Good job, team!